Friday, March 7, 2008

Sarah the dinosaur (the one with three horns)

Sometimes I look back, I and I fool myself into believing that I was a normal child. And then I remember Sarah.

Growing up, I remember being frusterated alot, and not ever really knowing why. Numerous people in my life describe me as someone who "does not view the world around her like other people do." which, essentially means that i process things far differently than most, and which also includes how i deal with situations/problems/circumstances.
As an angsty child, my favorite movie was Land Before Time. A heroic tale of baby dinosaurs who colaborate together to overcome terrible circumstances and find the good land, full of delicious tree-stars and waterfalls, and where they will find their families that they were seperated from during some large earth quakes, or something. It was a story of hope, friendship and perserverance. Of all the baby dinosaurs, there was pee-tree (ter-oh-dac-tile) ducky (something with a bill) spike (the kind with spikes) little-foot (plee-see-oh-sor-us) and the best, Sarah (the one with three horns).
Oh man, i related with sarah. chubby, angsty, misunderstood, and devilishly clever. Sarah would stomp around, spouting her opinions, bossing the other baby dinosaurs around, and they listened! Sarah was strong and independent, but secretly, Sarah was sad. she wasn't really mean! it was all a mask, to hide her vulnerability. and i loved sarah.
so, i became sarah. I am not sure the exact length of time, but for a good long while, i refused to walk upright, refused to eat anthything but tree-stars (lettuce) and head butted everything within reach (including my sunday school teachers bottom, which was uncomfortably squishy, which should have been punishment enough, but i still got sent to the corner for 10 minutes anyway.)
Oh those were the days. Sarah gave me an excuse to be sassy. she gave me an excuse to be angry (she was misunderstood, after all) But sarah was not happy. I dont know when it happened exactly, but sarah dissappeared.
I am no sure why or how, but after awhile, I was bored of sarah. Come to think of it, i probably just got tired of being confined by one single character in a dinosaur movie. I am far more complex than that, but to this day, whether I am in africa, india, america or Azerbaijan, sometimes I get the notion that i am alot like a bossy, clever, independant yet sercretly vulnerable, baby dinosaur named sarah.

1 comment:

shawnalyne said...

Do you still eat tree stars?
Scout says hi.
:)